Annapolis, MD — While Larry Hogan refuses to join Marylanders on the frontlines of the fight to protect DREAMers, the Maryland Democratic Party today released a fact sheet on the significant harm President Donald Trump’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) will have on Maryland.
“While 8 out of 10 Marylanders want to protect DREAMers, Governor Hogan is once again hiding from the fights that matter,” said Maryland Democratic Party Chair Kathleen Matthews. “If Donald Trump successfully blocks efforts to give DREAMers a path to legal status, it will rip hundreds of millions of dollars out of Maryland’s economy. Governor Hogan should use his bully pulpit to urge Donald Trump to support bipartisan efforts in Congress to protect DREAMers and the Maryland economy, but unfortunately, he’s afraid to even mention Trump by name.”
Click here or see below to see how much Republicans’ failure to protect DREAMers will cost Maryland:
Maryland DREAMers: By The Numbers
- An estimated 34,000 DACA-eligible DREAMers live in Maryland.
- There are 10,000 DACA recipients living in Maryland.
- More than 8,000 Maryland DACA recipients are employed.
Republicans’ Failure to Protect DREAMers Will Cost Maryland’s Economy
- Ending DACA will cost Maryland more than $500 million in lost economic output annually.
- Maryland’s GDP would increase by more than $1.6 billion if half of Maryland’s DACA-eligible residents completed their education requirements—completing an associate degree or two years of a bachelor’s degree—for legal permanent status.
- DREAMers in Maryland currently contribute more than $40 million annually in state and local taxes.
Marylanders Support Action to Protect DREAMers
- More than 80 percent of Marylanders agree that DREAMers should be given a path to citizenship of legal permanent residency status.