BALTIMORE — Governor Wes Moore has announced the expansion of the state’s plan to replace food and cash assistance funds stolen from Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards.
The newly-signed SB2/HB50 legislation permits EBT cardholders to reclaim benefits stolen as far back as January 1, 2021.
“By signing this legislation into law, we are taking deliberate action to help restore faith in some of our most-needed services and supports,” Governor Moore said. “Maryland is again showing leadership in ensuring that some of our most vulnerable citizens will receive the help they need.”
The new law extends the reimbursement eligibility period by 21 months and allocates $1.8 million in state general funds for the upcoming fiscal year to reimburse adults and families whose claims were previously denied.
Approximately 1,095 additional households will now be eligible to recover over $826,000 in previously reported stolen cash and food assistance benefit payments, the Governor’s office said.