The Maryland Democratic Party is currently seeking qualified applicants for the position of Political Director. The Political Director will be responsible for building and implementing statewide political programs and managing the Party’s political relationships with local committees, candidates and organizations.
The Political Director reports to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Party Chair. This position is based in Annapolis, and will require extensive statewide travel, including some weekends.
Develop and strengthen Party’s political programs and organization by continuously engaging central committees, clubs, grassroots political organizations, elected officials and affiliates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of political programs to build the party infrastructure and capabilities
- Work with our field director to build and help maintain a statewide constituency mobilization and political engagement program
- Serve as primary contact person for local campaigns, allied organizations, elected officials, key stakeholders, and interest groups
- Support work of Central Committees and Democratic incumbents and candidates
- Assist Communications Director in developing and managing ‘Rapid Response’ program
- Represent Party at events and meetings around the state
- Supporting other Party operations, as necessary including scheduling and staffing of Chair
- Act as liaison with the Democratic State Central Committee (DSCC), Executive Committee, and standing committees
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with long hour
- Other duties as assigned
- Ideally would live in Maryland
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience working campaigns or political organizations, preferably in MD
- Excellent written and communications skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to stay calm and have a positive attitude
- Good time management and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with long hours
- Ability to delegate and hold staff accountable
- Extensive knowledge of campaign technology including VAN and NGP
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of Maryland politics
Salary commensurate with experience and the budget necessities of the organization. Health insurance, vacation time, and paid family and sick leave included in the benefits package.
Application Instructions and Deadline
Applicants should submit their applications through THIS FORM. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting January 3, 2023.
The Maryland Democratic Party is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, marital, veteran or economic status, or any other legally protected basis.
The Maryland Democratic Party is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. Please contact us for any accommodations needed in the hiring process.