The Maryland Democratic Party (MDP) is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of Finance Director. This full-time, senior staff position works closely with the Party Chair and Executive Director to ensure that MDP has the resources it needs to meet yearly operational and programmatic goals and to plan for future growth.
The Finance Director is responsible for building and managing a successful, multi-faceted fundraising infrastructure. The Finance Director will be responsible for managing all aspects of key MDP fundraising programs. The Finance Director reports to the Executive Director and works with the MDP staff, officers, elected officials, allied organizations, national partners, and key party committees to meet the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Plan and execute a finance plan for 2023 and 2024, working closely with the Executive Director to integrate raise projections with the MDP operating & programmatic budget;
- Develop and manage a donor maintenance strategy as it relates to outreach, on-boarding, cultivation, engagement and retention from donors acquired via all channels;
- Hire and manage finance staff to ensure that fundraising goals are met or exceeded;
- Plan and execute fundraisers with the finance team to ensure fundraising goals are met or exceeded for the cycle;
- Facilitate call time with the Chair and surrogates with help from the finance team;
- Schedule and hold solicitation meetings with current and prospective donors;
- Planning both small and large-scale fundraising events around the state;
- Managing and expanding the MDP’s Trustee Program;
- Running the MDP’s Blue Circle small dollar donor program;
- Manage relationships with MDP Trustees and donors, government relations teams, PAC managers, organized labor, and other fundraising stakeholders;
- Lead the effort to build and execute a successful grassroots digital and direct mail fundraising program;
- Build and maintain processes and organizational structures for solicitation and collection of contributions, for data management, and for financial compliance;
- Work with the compliance department to provide accurate and timely reporting of contributions;
- Serve as a partner for campaigns and state and national party committees as it relates to joint fundraising activity;
- Prepare direct mail, thank you letters, event invitations, and other solicitations;
- Plan and manage annual membership drives for small dollar donors;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three (3) cycles working in a campaign finance position or at least four (4) years of experience in a non-profit development position, and demonstrated management experience;
- Experience building and maintaining a multi-year finance plan;
- Demonstrated understanding of long-term donor stewardship;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to effectively collaborate and work well with internal staff and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Software and computer proficiency (Mac and PC) necessary to update and maintain databases of donors, activists, committees and volunteers;
- Familiarity with federal and state campaign finance regulations;
- Experienced with NGP VAN Campaign Finance software;
- Basic HTML a plus.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit their applications through THIS FORM. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis starting January 3, 2023.
The Maryland Democratic Party is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, disability, age, marital, veteran or economic status, or any other legally protected basis.
The Maryland Democratic Party is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. Please contact us for any accommodations needed in the hiring process.